Your Website’s trust factor is an important element in your site’s rank. If your site is not trustworthy it will not rank very high on search engine results.
As a developer and web designer I have learned a few things that will help your site gain some trust on the internet. Most of them are pretty simple. Some of these things will not have anything to do with your site directly, but are very important nonetheless.
- One of the easiest things you can do to gain trust with your online business is to put your phone number at the top of the site, easily readable and easy to find.
- Have a facebook account that people can go to and see posts from you or your business. This is one way people go about verifying the existence of a legitimate company. If the facebook page is brand new, people will have doubts about your company because it shows you haven’t been in business long.
- Don’t post anything on facebook except for things relating to your business; especially politics. Half the people will be offended by your political posts no matter if they are left or right leaning. The only companies that don’t offend people with political posts are the ones that rely on politics for their business’s health.
- Don’t change your Website’s subject. (I have done this and trust me it has hurt my search engine results quite a bit.)
- One of the hardest things and maybe the most important is to cite your sources. Tell people where you are getting your information when applicable. They are not likely to believe you unless you can back up what you are saying with a link to the source information. In addition to that getting people to cite your website’s information is one of the best rank building things you can do for your site. Have other companies cite your site. Companies like Yelp, Foursquare, Hotfrog and others like them.
Getting local blogs to mention your business and website is another way to grow your site’s trustworthiness.
- Get some reviews, and testimonials. When people vouch for your business they increase your business substantially. The best way to advertise your business is by word of mouth.
- While you are at it make sure you respond to comments and reviews on your site. When you don’t respond people will tell others that you don’t respond and that can really hurt your reputation. Respond and respond politely.
All of these trust gaining techniques have something to do with your relationship with your customer. Be nice, respond quickly and the word will be spread that you are a trustworthy business.
Article by Timothy Eberly
Timothy is a web design and graphic artist that has been working in the business for over 20 years and has designed and built thousands of websites including one for a major ad firm in Spokane. In addition to graphic design and web development he also worked as a photographer on several films made in the Spokane area. You can connect with him on facebook and Google+.