I think you will agree with me when I say:
It’s really difficult to know if you are choosing the right SEO company for your business.
Or is it?
Finding the correct SEO match for your company may be easier than you thought. You just need to change how you are going about finding one.
So, let me help.
In this post, I am going to share with you some helpful guidelines you can use when choosing the correct Spokane SEO company for your business.
Some common mistakes people make when looking for the right SEO Company:
- They assume that they can simply do a Google search for the best SEO in Spokane.
- I realize that this is going to come as a shock, but it really isn’t the best method for choosing an SEO company to work with. At first, it seems logical, right? If a company is at the top of the list for search terms like best SEO company in your hometown, then they should be the best, right? After all, that is what Google thinks. But what you have to keep in mind is that some companies are so good that they are too busy to mess with their own SEO, and that companies that have tons of time on their hands can then take the time to rank for those keywords. I am a perfect example of this. I have several websites that I manage for the fun of it that don’t rank very well at all because I simply don’t have the time to mess with them right now. It’s ironic. Camera crews spend so much time making movies that they never get a chance to go out and see them.
- They trust websites that offer top SEO lists.
- You never really know why a company is on the top of the list. Is it because they have more money to spend to be on the top of the list?
- There are a ton of companies that like to create list pages just to be in the top of the rankings for those keywords. It is not a good way to choose an SEO company unless you know the list is unbiased and trustworthy. For example, I am not too trusting of Thumbtack because they used to charge clients fees to be on their lists. They ranked them based on how much they were paying for their credits.
- Lists are not ranked by experts in the field. The most popular entry may not be the most skilled. There are better ways to choose your SEO company.
- They trust people with secret methods.
- SEO is transparent. When deciding on a company to hire for your SEO, steer clear of the companies with secret methods to their success. Best case scenario they ruin your reputation with Google. Worst case, they don’t do anything and just rip you off. If they are afraid to tell you what they are doing and why, run.
When you or your company is searching for a good SEO company to work with you should do the following:
- Set good goals.
- Good goals are more specific. Know your search terms, what you are trying to rank for and why. Try to be realistic about your goals.
- Boosting revenue through sales.
- Increasing brand awareness.
- More downloads.
- Avoid bad goals.
- Bad goals, or unclear goals, make it very tough for your SEO to actually help your rank to improve. Stating that you want your business to make money is way too vague for anyone to know how to go about achieving said goal. You might get laughed out of a bank if you state that your purpose for getting a loan is to make money. They need to know exactly how you plan on going about it.
- Vanity goals are bad as well. Wanting to rank better than someone else isn’t clear and not a very good motivating factor for improving your SEO. Just being number one doesn’t mean anything. What I mean by that is that you have to know what you are trying to rank number one for and whether that search term is of any actual value to your business. I rank number one for ‘Timothy Eberly’, but so what? Is this a search term people are searching for all the time? Right now there is no value in that search term at all.
- You might want to find someone local.
- Having someone local is not necessary, but you may find that it is helpful to be able to meet in person.
- Plus local SEO companies will have a better understanding of your market, especially in the arena of local SEO.
- Know what your budget is for your goal.
- SEO companies don’t all charge the same way or the same amount. It is a good idea to know what you are wanting to pay before you speak to an SEO company.
- Seek out industry insiders.
- If you know someone that is successful with their SEO ask them who they went with for their SEO. Make sure you are friends before asking. LOL
- Do you know someone that writes a blog about SEO? (Like this one). It might be a good idea to ask them who they recommend. There is also Neil Patel, Moz.com, Backlinko.com, Search Engine Land and many others you can try to contact.
- Ask questions:
- Ask them about their methods of communication. Do they primarily use email, or do they prefer to call or speak in person? Ask them how often they expect to speak with your company about the status of your SEO, and who you are expected to speak with (owner, employee contact, etc.).
- Ask them what methods they use to get your site to rank well. Ask them if how Google ranks websites. They should have a solid grasp of how they feel Google operates.
- Ask about their contract and pay structure.
- Ask them how they go about solving problems when things don’t work out as expected.
- Ask them how many clients they have at the moment. Ask them how much time they will be spending on your SEO.
In addition, here are some helpful tips:
- Hire someone to do your SEO in-house. Instead of hiring someone to do your SEO that potentially has several clients, including competitors, bring your SEO in-house. That way you can see what is going on directly and you will know your competition is not using the same tactics you are using to rank well.
- If it is too costly, ask to see if they do consulting. Maybe you can hire an SEO company to help you with your in-house SEO. A little consulting can go a long way.
- Maybe you should put off SEO until you are ready to invest the time and energy to do it correctly. For some of you, it may not be worth the effort to get to page two in Google search results. If the search terms you are shooting for are extremely difficult, or costly, you may want to hold off for a while. SEO isn’t dead by any means, but for some of you it isn’t something you can invest in right now.
What to know what SEO company I recommend?
Use the form to email me. 🙂